Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Reviewing for Tests, Not One Size Fits All

Last week my College-Prep Physics students were preparing for their last unit test.  Yes, I still give a paper unit test.  However, with my new learning style of the flipped classroom this may change in the future, but that is a topic for another blog.

When students think of reviewing for a unit test in a traditional classroom, I am sure they think review packets and teachers re-lecturing the information.  With my flipped learning approach and  armed with a class set of iPads, I put the students in control of how they reviewed.  

I gave students one full double class period (about 80 minutes) to review the concepts by whatever method they wanted.  I started by offering up some possibilities and then let them run with it.  Here is what I saw for the rest of the class:

1.  Students re-watching my video lessons on the iPad.
2.  Students making flashcards and quizzing each other in small groups.
3.  Students using Quizlet on their smartphones.
4.  Students using StudyBlue on the iPad and finding pre-existing flashcards to run quizzes, etc.
5.  Students correcting old quizzes.
6.  Students reviewing their notes.
7.  Students reviewing past activities (slide presentations, screencasts, digital books, etc.) they created in class on the iPads.

As you can see from the list, this was a much more dynamic review.  It should be stated that a student did not do the same thing all 80 minutes.  Some reviewed notes, then used StudyBlue, then watch video lessons, etc.  It was enjoyable to walk around and help students on the variety of things they were working on.  I think some teachers may be hesitant to allow students to utilize many different resources, since they may be afraid they don't know how all the resources work.  As teachers we must face the fear and do it anyway!   Students have different learning styles and our classroom opportunities must reflect that.    So the next time you review for that unit test, challenge your students (and yourself) to do it differently!  Happy reviewing!

* Note - even if you do not have technology easily available in your classroom, most all of these things can be done on a smartphone.   You could also construct different paper activities for students to complete as well to give students the choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment