Wednesday, June 27, 2018

PBL in Physics (Part 5 - the Projects!)

After 4 weeks of my Honors Physics students working towards the Waves standards, their PBL projects are done!  Students created a variety of projects - videos, websites, children's books, a board game, Minecraft, 3D printed models, and much more.



Here is a sampling of some of their work:








Andy (website)

Nic (stop motion)

Katrina (video - Life as a Wave)

Rachel (Froggy children's book)



Here is what my students said about their first experience with PBL:

"Creating and redesigning my 3D models of the physics activities I created in class was my proudest accomplishment because i felt as though it was a cumulation of what I had learned about waves and general physics as well as what I had learned in my other engineering courses. It required my knowledge of designing and creating parts with computer aided design software while simultaneously demanding me to explain it to other students to further their knowledge of waves / physics concepts."

"I felt that one thing that I really improved upon while taking your class was understanding myself as a learner. This really helped me improve upon myself in your class, in other classes, and in many other situations. I learned that I often do better when I take my time and talk things out. Which is why the waves PBL really seemed to work for me. I prefer to do focused work alone in quieter settings and that was also accomplished in the PBL unit."

"I feel like when people dedicated enough time to the project, they learned a lot. It was something you had to put effort into, so you couldn’t coast through it."

"My biggest success was completing the waves project because I represented my knowledge of the concepts in a creative and innovative way."

As I surveyed the students to ask them if I should do more PBL next year, the response was an overwhelming YES!  Upon reflection of this Waves PBL unit, I appreciated the opportunity it gave me to have even more 1:1 discussion with students and their ability to choose how they would present their learning of the concepts.


No comments:

Post a Comment