During remote/hybrid learning I made the bold choice to "ditch that test" in favor of digital portfolios! I was Inspired by Greg Kulowiec who shared the use of Google Slides as a Video Digital Notebook for teachers to share content with students. I decided to flip the idea and instead have students create to showcase their learning in place of the traditional pencil and paper test.
Why Digital Portfolios?
To promote student agency by creating an authentic assessment of learning through the use of multimedia. Including relevance, learning standards, feedback, and reflection.
Timeframe
Two digital portfolios are completed each term as "tests" for content units. A unit can take from 2-4 weeks to complete. Students are then given 1 week to create & complete the digital portfolio for that particular unit (about 1 slide per day).
Student Agency
How will students demonstrate an understanding of the content standards? Through voice and choice! Students are challenged to reflect on their learning experience and additionally present their own examples. They also have choice in:
- writing - vocabulary, alternate concepts, related concepts
- concept application - apply concept to a new example
- image selection - from a class experience, new example of their own
- audio/video - what to present in each format, word choice, etc.
- organization - appearance and structure of the Slides, theme of
All of the above allow for students to personalize their digital portfolio.
Standards-Based
How will students demonstrate an understanding of the content standards? Regardless of what standards you are teaching in the classroom (Common Core, NGSS, State Frameworks), you will have to review and rewrite for student use. I attempt to rewrite them in "student-friendly" language and as specific as possible. I include the standards for each Google Slide in the Speaker Notes for quick student reference (see my Conservation Laws template shared below).
Students may use a teacher-created template that includes the standards, multimedia suggestions, and modifications if necessary (e.g. sentence frames). I put most of this information in the Speaker Notes for each slide, however it is also available on our LMS.
Students may also create their own Slides presentation using such online template resources as slidesgo or slides carnival using a theme of their choice.
Here is a template I created for my College-Prep Physics students Term 2 on Conservation Laws.
For a student sample, contact me: weltyteaching@gmail.com
Student Use of Technology
In creating a digital portfolio students must learn how to:
- create a Google Slides presentation
- record audio and insert into Slides
- record video and insert into Slides
- upload images to Slides
- set share permissions correctly (Anyone with a link can view)
- submit to Canvas LMS
Workflow in Canvas LMS
My school uses the Canvas LMS and digital portfolio assessment integrates well with Speedgrader. I create the Assignment and choose the option for students to submit the Website URL of their Slides. I further create a Rubric for the assignment to use for assessment. Once a student submits their portfolio, I open Speedgrader, click through their Slides and listen/watch the audio/video and use the Rubric to assess. I use Comments to provide more specific feedback to their digital portfolio.
Challenges of Digital Portfolios
After having all the instructions, standards, and templates in place, there will of course be unforeseen problems. Here are the most common problems I have encountered:
- not being able to access audio/video - students often forget to make the share settings to "Anyone with a link can view"
- advanced content - students Google information for their slides and include advanced content and examples beyond what we did in class. It is fine if they are challenging themselves and explaining in their own words, but often they use images or examples inconsistent with their learning
- concept and example - students fail to connect an appropriate example for a given concept
- no audio or video - students get in the habit of text and images for Slides and need reminded of how to incorporate audio and video
Inspiration
While writing this blog post, I was going through old tabs in my browser and stumbled upon John Dorroh's "Bringing Student Choice to Assessment in Science Classes" from Edutopia. In the article he suggests new offerings for students in place of the traditional pencil & paper test. Even though a small sample size, it is interesting to note that only 6% of his students still chose to be assessed by a paper and pencil test over 6 other "modes." This article inspires me to continue to develop more innovative approaches to learning and assessment.
* This was presented at ARHS Professional Development Day, 2/22/21
No comments:
Post a Comment